Canada,  Pharmacy Profession

How to Become a Pharmacist in Canada: My Timeline

Bonjour Bella!

One year and 7 months. That’s how long it took for me to get my license to practice as a pharmacist in Manitoba, Canada from the first exam, which is the Pharmacist Evaluating Exam. But of course there was a whole process before I got to take that first exam.


As a brief overview, here is my timeline and the costs involved:

September 1, 2016 – Enrolment to NAPRA through Pharmacist Gateway Canada – $325

December 1, 2016 – Applied for Document Evaluation online through the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada – $550

February 21, 2017 – Applied for Summer 2017 Pharmacist Evaluating Exam – $535

July 2017 – took EE & passed

July 29, 2017 – Applied for Pharmacist Qualifying Exam Part 1 – MCQ – $675

November 2017 – took MCQ & passed

January 16, 2018 – Applied for Pharmacist Qualifying Exam – Part 2 – OSCE – $1750

May 2018 – took OSCE & passed

July 5 & 7, 2018 – took IELTS – Academic module (click here for tips)

August 2018 – Applied for Internship to the College of Pharmacists Manitoba – $722.67

September 2018 to January 2019 – 600 hours internship (Manitoba)

November 22, 2018 – Jurisprudence Exam – $185.72

January 2019 – Applied for Pharmacist License – $1012.06



Other costs not listed:

  • visa applications, airline tickets, accommodations and other related expenses to take the exams in Canada (if you’re living outside of Canada)
  • mailing costs of applications
  • passport photos (if you’re in Canada, cheapest is at Costco)
  • Notary Public
  • Professional Liability Insurance (around $100+ per year depending on where you live and type of insurance)


All currencies are in CAD and prices may have changed already through the years. Check the websites posted above for current rates of exams and other applications.


If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to post a comment below or send me a message.



Jean Monique


  • Victoria

    I have watched your vlog and I want to become a pharmacist in Manitoba and on the pharmacist gateway site they mentioned a practical does it mean we have to enroll into a problem like in British Columbia.

  • Raya Lorraine Boldero

    Hi! I saw your youtube vlog on how to be a pharmacist in Canada. I am also a pharmacy technician in SG and is it possible na my entry in Canada will be as PT and not as pharmacist? And if this is the case, can I have my ECA by another company and not through PEBC? Hoping for your reply. Thanks.

    • jeanmonique

      Hi Raya! Thanks for watching my video and reading my blog. ? yes, my main occupation while applying for immigration was as a PT. Although that time PTs are not required to be registered / licensed yet. ECA through PEBC is only for those whom Pharmacist would be the primary occupation for their application to immigrate to Canada.

    • ANA

      Hi Ms. Jean! I have a question lang po. What if I’m gonna take the student pathway to Canada and study phartech? May easier way po ba to apply as a pharmacist like a bridging program? Or I still need to take those exams one way or another? What can you suggest po na convenient way. I’m planning on residing near Ontario.

      • jeanmonique

        Hi! You will have to take all the PEBC exams, regardless. Even the graduates here they take the Qualifying Exams. Bridging program can be a requirement in some provinces so that’s an extra cost.

        • Mohammed Mazher

          Hello po Maam Jean! Im a new follower and Id just like to ask about how to work as a Pharmacist Assistant in Canada? Did they recently change the requirements and added that PAs should take a 10 months course?
          Thank you so much for the reply!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: